Go Back   The Liberty Lounge Political Forums > Liberty Lounge Discussions > The Floor

Political Forum Click HERE to register your free account and become a member of our community today!
Register to Post a Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Formerly known as Swift-Bass

Conservative
Baltimore, MD
Swift is the Speaker of the HouseSwift is the Speaker of the House

McCain in 2000 and McCain now

I've heard a lot of people on the forum say they liked McCain of 2000 and may have even voted for him if he was the same in this election.

Since I didn't start paying attention to politics until about 2001 or so. Can some of you describe the differences you've seen between then and now?

Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble Upon this Post!
Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
ἀλήθεια

Humanist
while (1)
HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by Swift-Bass View Post
I've heard a lot of people on the forum say they liked McCain of 2000 and may have even voted for him if he was the same in this election.

Since I didn't start paying attention to politics until about 2001 or so. Can some of you describe the differences you've seen between then and now?

Thanks.

On top of that, his pandering to voters, both female and evangelical (not just with Palin, but with the video I posted yesterday).

--Stephen Dedalus (by way of Joyce)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble Upon this Post!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Braccae tuae aperiuntur.

Reform Party
JaJae Has a place in history!JaJae Has a place in history!JaJae Has a place in history!JaJae Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by Swift-Bass View Post

Thanks.
It wasn't really McCain in 2000 people liked as much as when he went against his party fairly soon after the start of the Iraq War. When things started to get hairy he stood up to the GOP base and attacked Bush. As a Republican war hero he gained a lot of credibility among liberal blogs who wanted to recycle his opinions and rub it in the face of conservatives. They began to worship him and follow his every move and statement. During this time he started chumming up with Democrats to speak out against the war and other Bush/GOP policies.

But then he flipped again and began supporting the surge and essentially turned into a moderate Republican again those liberals who once beloved him felt betrayed. And the conservative blogs/talk radio remembered how quickly he could flip and wouldn't support him during the primaries and you even had the conservative blogs/talk radio telling people not to vote for McCain. They still haven't gotten over his change of stance over Iraq or his "amnesty" immigration bill.

An interesting tidbit... Joe Biden actually recommended McCain for John Kerry's Vice Presidential pick in the last election.

WASHINGTON - Sen. Joseph Biden, a senior Democrat, on Sunday urged Republican Sen. John McCain to run for vice president with the Democratic hopeful, Sen. John Kerry, in order to heal the “vicious rift” dividing America.

McCain, of Arizona, “categorically” ruled out standing with Kerry, but Biden, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he had no second choice.

“I’m sticking with McCain,” Biden said.

“I think John McCain would be a great candidate for vice president,” Biden, from Delaware, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” where the two senators appeared together to take questions on Iraq and other subjects.

“Do I think it’s going to happen? No,” he said. “But I think it is a reflection of the desire of this country and the desire of people in both parties to want to see this God-awful, vicious rift that exists in the nation healed, and John and John could go a long way to heal in that rift.”

Last edited by JaJae; 09-11-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Braccae tuae aperiuntur.

Reform Party
JaJae Has a place in history!JaJae Has a place in history!JaJae Has a place in history!JaJae Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by HughRuss View Post

On top of that, his pandering to voters, both female and evangelical (not just with Palin, but with the video I posted yesterday).
I can't watch the video at work, however, I agree he is a panderer. He really wants to be president and he'll say or do just about anything to make that happen.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
ἀλήθεια

Humanist
while (1)
HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!HughRuss Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by JaJae View Post
An interesting tidbit... Joe Biden actually recommended McCain for John Kerry's Vice Presidential pick in the last election.
Joe Biden and John McCain --it has been said-- are (used to be) quite chummy with one another.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #6

Conservative Party
C4Casey has a spectacular aura about them

Joe Biden and John McCain --it has been said-- are (used to be) quite chummy with one another.
Wouldn't be suprised if they still are. Since they're running on opposite tickets it probably would be ackward for the two to have an openly chummy relationship, and it could cause them to lose stance in their own party. There have been other high profile cases of good friends being political opponents. Ford and Carter come to mind.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Master Debator
Election Moderator

Democrat
Omaha, NE
DosEquis A true statesman!DosEquis A true statesman!DosEquis A true statesman!DosEquis A true statesman!DosEquis A true statesman!DosEquis A true statesman!

The McCain of 2000 might have been conservative but he was also a realist. He would stand for things that were indeed putting his country first instead of putting his party first. He has changed his fundamental principles to meet the needs of the republican base. He used to be a brand of conservative that also had a grasp on reality. He had to let reality go and grab the bible. Once figures he deplored, like Falwell, he switched gears... there are countless examples.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
George W Bush, God's Tool

Independent
ny
David Octavius Has a place in history!David Octavius Has a place in history!David Octavius Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by DosEquis View Post
The McCain of 2000 might have been conservative but he was also a realist. He would stand for things that were indeed putting his country first instead of putting his party first. He has changed his fundamental principles to meet the needs of the republican base. He used to be a brand of conservative that also had a grasp on reality. He had to let reality go and grab the bible. Once figures he deplored, like Falwell, he switched gears... there are countless examples.
Exactly! I think losing to Bush affecting him deeply and was the beginning of him changing

Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Political Genius

Democrat
South Jersey
WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by DosEquis View Post
ON the Daily show they actually went back and forth with video clips of him being against IRaq and then for it, he supported Roe V Wade and now he is against it. It went on and on. As soon as he started running for president he just toed the GOP party line verbatim.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
America Fuck Yea
Election Moderator

Republican In Name Only
kinggovernor is a Distinguished Senatorkinggovernor is a Distinguished Senator

Originally Posted by JaJae View Post
I really think the RNC is holding onto this ace in the hole until right before the election.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Evil Political Genius
The Lab Moderator

Humanist
Chicago Suburbs
Scrum Has a place in history!Scrum Has a place in history!Scrum Has a place in history!

Originally Posted by kinggovernor View Post
I really think the RNC is holding onto this ace in the hole until right before the election.
Their going to use John Kerry as a life preserver?

Good luck with that. Let us know how it works out.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
America Fuck Yea
Election Moderator

Republican In Name Only

Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
Their going to use John Kerry as a life jacket?

Good luck with that. Let us know how it works out.
Biden is so confident in McCain's ability in the executive office that he wanted to be part of the Democratic ticket just 4 years ago.

Come on, seriously you can't see how the RNC could use this?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
Political Genius

Democrat
South Jersey
WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!WickedLou9 Has a place in history!

Biden is so confident in McCain's ability in the executive office that he wanted to be part of the Democratic ticket just 4 years ago.

Come on, seriously you can't see how the RNC could use this?
I don't questions McCains ability to lead. I would be pretty scared if we were nominating candidates that had no leadership ability. It's a question of who you think would be the better leader.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
America Fuck Yea
Election Moderator

Republican In Name Only

Originally Posted by WickedLou9 View Post
I don't questions McCains ability to lead. I would be pretty scared if we were nominating candidates that had no leadership ability. It's a question of who you think would be the better leader.
Biden wasn't saying that McCain had leadership ability, Biden wanted McCain to be on the Democratic ticket. That is totally different.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
ἀλήθεια

Humanist
while (1)

Biden wasn't saying that McCain had leadership ability, Biden wanted McCain to be on the Democratic ticket. That is totally different.
And it was 4 years ago when McCain could rightfully call himself a Maverick instead of a public charlatan.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
America Fuck Yea
Election Moderator

Republican In Name Only

And it was 4 years ago when McCain could rightfully call himself a Maverick instead of a public charlatan.
yea McCain really went down the party line of "stay the course, Rumsfeld 4 EVA"

Register to Post a Reply