Go Back   The Liberty Lounge Political Forums > Liberty Lounge Community > The Speakeasy

Political Forum Click HERE to register your free account and become a member of our community today!
Register to Post a Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
No longer cares, bye

Classic Liberal
Socal
The Great Catpiss is the Vice President!The Great Catpiss is the Vice President!

Section 8 - Family of 4 < $90,500

I noticed that a lot of these places in wealthy neighborhoods take section 8 families. WTH? These are neighborhoods where the base rent price is $2000. How much of our tax dollars are paying $1400+ for people's rent?

I am curious to know what % of people are on section 8 and why the government is willing to spend so much money.

Since there is a waiting list for section 8, the demand is pretty high. This helps keep rental prices up as landlords can always fall back onto the section 8 program before lowering prices.

And yes, I am jealous that the government hands these people over $17000 per year just for rent. People would not and should not want to get any pay raises if they fall in the section 8 program.

I went to the California website, and this is what it says for a family of 4 in Orange County that makes 74,400 = Low Income.

Marin County < $90,500 = Low Income.

San Francisco County < $90,500 = Low Income.

Last edited by The Great Catpiss; 04-12-2010 at 01:41 AM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble Upon this Post!
Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
What?

Anarcho-Capitalist
Oklahoma
stolz25 President material?stolz25 President material?stolz25 President material?

A guy I knew in wichita owned 50 houses nowhere except section 8 neighborhoods for this reason. He said the rents were twice as high as outside section 8 and were easier to collect (since the renters only pay a small percentage of it). In addition they are afraid of losing the section 8 status sp he didn't have to hassle them for rent money every month.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble Upon this Post!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
America Fuck Yea
Election Moderator

Republican In Name Only
kinggovernor is a Distinguished Senatorkinggovernor is a Distinguished Senator

Originally Posted by stolz25 View Post
A guy I knew in wichita owned 50 houses nowhere except section 8 neighborhoods for this reason. He said the rents were twice as high as outside section 8 and were easier to collect (since the renters only pay a small percentage of it). In addition they are afraid of losing the section 8 status sp he didn't have to hassle them for rent money every month.
yep section 8 raises the rent in poor areas, landlords like the tenants because the vast majority of the rent, usually 85%+, comes via a US treasury check.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
No longer cares, bye

Classic Liberal
Socal
The Great Catpiss is the Vice President!The Great Catpiss is the Vice President!

Originally Posted by kinggovernor View Post
yep section 8 raises the rent in poor areas, landlords like the tenants because the vast majority of the rent, usually 85%+, comes via a US treasury check.
Section 8 pays up to 70%.

What is bullshit is that people making under $90,000 in some places qualify for it. Also bullshit is that it drives up rent prices in good areas as well.

Register to Post a Reply